top of page

Curbside Recycling

Missed pick-ups must be reported within 24 hours!
The La Porte County Solid Waste District provides total curbside recycling pickup for all residents. The contracted hauler is Able Disposal and items listed below are picked up in a supplied toter. It must be put out at your curbside BEFORE 6:00 a.m. each pick-up day. Additional items surrounding or beside your toter will also be picked up. IF YOU CHOOSE to use additional containers of your own, please mark the container CLEARLY, IN LARGE BLOCK LETTERS with the words “Recycling”.

Call us at (219) 326-0014 within 24 hours if you think your recycling pickup was missed.


It's As Easy As 1, 2, 3

  1. Please rinse all containers.

  2. No sorting, no label removal.

  3. Place toter at curbside by 6:00 A.M.

If you have any questions about other items not listed below, call the Solid Waste District office at 219-326-0014

  • PAPER:

    • Corrugated Cardboard (no more than 2 ft. sq.) & Cardboard Boxes (flattened)

    • Frozen Food & Dinner Boxes

    • Pizza Boxes, (both frozen and delivered)

    • Paperboard, such as Cereal, Cake Mix, Tissue boxes

    • Newspapers & Inserts, Mixed Paper, Junk Mail, Magazines, Phonebooks, Catalogs, Grocery Sacks, and Gift Wrap (excluding the foil variety)

  • GLASS:

    • Clear, Green and Brown Jars, Food and Drink Bottles (please do not break the glass)

  • METAL:

    • Aluminum, Bi-Metal and Steel Cans, including the Lids


    • All Plastic Items with #1 through #7 (minus #6) recycling symbol on them, including lids.


Items Not Accepted

  • GLASS:

    • No Window Glass, Dishes, Pottery, Ceramics, Light Bulbs, or Mirrors

  • METAL:

    • No Cans used for Chemicals or Paints, Aerosol Spray Cans, Scrap Metal


    • No Toys, Rubber Products, Photographic Film, Vinyl Siding, Swimming Pool Liners, Children’s Pools, Motor Oil Containers, Plastic Bags, Newspaper Bags, Produce Bags, Bread Bags, Case Wrap for Bottled Water, Wrap from Napkin, Paper Towel & Toilet Paper Packages, Wrap from Diaper Packages, Styrofoam/polystyrene packaging and peanuts.


    • No Liquids, Food Waste, Fabrics, Wood, or Yard Waste

    • No Appliances, Tires or Household Hazardous Waste

   For information on Household Hazardous Waste, Sharps, Expired Medications, ways to recycle Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Appliances, Tires, Electronics, Computers, Batteries, Cell Phones, Ink-Jet and Toner Cartridges, Yard Waste or any general questions, please call the Solid Waste District Office at 219-326-0014 or 800-483-7700.

Recycling FAQ.jpg
bottom of page